Sunday, March 8, 2009

Thinking out loud

Samantha has now been on the pump for almost a year and in that years time things have ran pretty smoothly. I fax in her log sheets every few weeks and only a handful of times has the nurse called to have me make a slight change in her basals..Now for the pass month she has been sick on and off and her numbers have been rather on the high side like 300 and 400's no real pattern till just 4 days ago I noticed that her 4pm numbers have been high where the rest of the day is pretty good unless we make a mistake in carb counting or she get a snack at school that was right after her lunch ( for some reason it doesnt come down as nicely) So after reading some post on my favorite web site Childrens with diabetes I figure its time I get brave and start to make a few changes..so I did my first basal increase today I was cautious and did one for 3pm today I put in another basal for 3pm..now my question is the school only test her at 12:30 and 3:00pm and I see the 3:00 number is higher then I like but do I change it for 3 or try 2:30??? how long before if at a certain time do you make a basal??? I think maybe today I should go back to every 2 hour testing instead for meals and when she is not feeling right...I still do the 2am testing maybe I should try for a midnight 2am and maybe 5am... I have my safety net knowing that tomorrow I fax the nurse....I hate always second guessing myself but that seems to be all I do with diabetes and its control :O(
only 11 more days till we have the cgms training :O) I hope that helps

2 comments:

  1. Hi. My niece has had Type 1 since the age of 8. It has been more than three years. Our endo and CDE always told us to go back two hours before the time period she is high (if we notice a pattern). So at 3pm if always high, you should change the basals at 1pm. However, I have noticed her basals change within a one hour time period, so I will go back one hour. Especially if she is at school and coming home on the bus, I would tend to be more cautious. A high at 3pm could also be due to an incorrect insulin to carb ratio at lunch. You may want to have the school check two hours after her lunch a few days to see if this is the case before changing basals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you I will check into that :O)

    ReplyDelete